Friday, March 28, 2014

Two new reviews, for Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) and Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)

I've been playing some video games lately, if you can believe that.

A couple of weeks ago saw the release of my two most anticipated games of the year, Dark Souls II and Titanfall. Still on my Dark Souls high, I managed to complete the former in less than a week, with 38 hours logged and about 300 deaths on record. Then my modem decided to die (it was very old), which left me without the ability to post new reviews or play Titanfall for over a week. So that was a hindrance.

Anyway, the review is finally live and can be read here. If you follow me on Twitter, you've heard me talk about Dark Souls II incessantly over the last couple of weeks and probably already know what I think of it. Kinda weird that I've come to regard the first Dark Souls in such high esteem considering how I once felt about it, and yet here I am, expressing my disappointment with the sequel relative to its predecessor. Dark Souls II is a mechanical improvement, but it just doesn't have the grace and flow of the first. You could even say it doesn't have the... soul.

Anyway. The other game that I reviewed is Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. I was in the middle of a playthrough of this when Dark Souls II released and only just got around to finishing it. It'll almost certainly wind up making my top ten list for 2014 and is this year's "game I love that's not really a game." Visual novel, interactive manga, reading material... whatever you want to call it, it's a gripping character-driven murder mystery that you should experience for yourself. Read why here.

As for current gaming progress, I'm currently divided between Titanfall, which is awesome, and Infamous: Second Son, which is fine, I guess. I finally sent Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII back to GameFly after over a month of the disc never leaving its sleeve, and now I'm renting Thief, which I'll admit I'm not going into with a terribly positive attitude. (I played the introductory level and then went right back to Titanfall.)

For some reason, I've also downloaded Final Fantasy VI on my Vita with the intention of perhaps giving that game a long-overdue revisit at some point. I was having a discussion with a few people on Twitter the other day about Kefka being a better villain than Sephiroth and that got me in the mood.

Next on my list is Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. On PS4, because if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right. And, y'know, with all of these long-ass games coming out all at once, a two-hour campaign is sounding pretty good to me right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment