Sunday, January 5, 2014

A ranked list of every game that I played in 2013


...It's not actually very long.

I guess this stems from the fact that I'm just not a professional games journalist, at least not yet. (The plan is to be one eventually, of course.) But assuming that I didn't forget anything, and I don't believe that I did, I only played 63 games in 2013. I am, of course, excluding everything I played last year which wasn't actually released last year, which ranges from some 2012 catch-up (XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Telltale Games' The Walking Dead series) and a few old favorites that I only just got around to checking out (Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2, the Witcher games). Still, a Destructoid writer that I follow on Twitter posted a list of the 2013 releases that he'd played and it numbered in the 200s. I only hit 63. And if we were to rule out games that I didn't play to completion, the number would be even lower.

But nevertheless, having finally written up my Game of the Year article over the weekend, I thought it'd be fun to inventory my progress over 2013. Bear in mind that the ranking here is relative; a game being low on the list doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad, but merely that I didn't enjoy it as much as what placed higher. In fact, the vast majority of the games on this list are at least decent. I tend to avoid bad games unless I have a writerly obligation or flat-out interest.

Re-releases, namely The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut, would rank higher if I hadn't already played them earlier.

* indicates games that I admittedly didn't spend much time with
^ indicates games that just aren't my thing

63. Aliens: Colonial Marines (Xbox 360)
62. LocoCycle (Xbox One)
61. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (Xbox 360)
60. Halo: Spartan Assault (Xbox One)*
59. Crimson Dragon (Xbox One)
58. Full Bore (PC)
57. Dark (PC)
56. Soul Sacrifice (Vita)*
55. Rise of the Triad (PC)
54. Jak and Daxter Collection (Vita)*
53. Contrast (PS4)*
52. Gears of War: Judgment (Xbox 360)
51. Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360)
50. Killer Instinct (Xbox One)*^
49. Batman: Arkham Origins (Xbox 360)*
48. Blacklight: Retribution (PC)*
47. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)^
46. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox 360)
45. Cloudberry Kingdom (PC)
44. Warframe (PS4)
43. Shadow Warrior (PC)*
42. 9.03m (PC)
41. Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4)
40. DuckTales Remastered (PC)
39. Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360)
38. Sonic: Lost World (Wii U)
37. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Xbox 360)
36. Crysis 3 (Xbox 360)
35. Anarchy Reigns (Xbox 360)
34. Resident Evil: Revelations (Xbox 360)
33. Peggle 2 (Xbox One)
32. XCOM: Enemy Within (PC)
31. Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One)
30. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Xbox 360)
29. Forza Motorsport 5 (Xbox One)
28. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Xbox 360)
27. Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine (PC)*
26. Remember Be (PC)
25. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
24. Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut (PC)*
23. Rymdkapsel (Vita)
22. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
21. Total War: Rome II (PC)
20. Metro: Last Light (PC)
19. Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
18. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360)
17. Gunpoint (PC)
16. Tomb Raider (Xbox 360)
15. The Stanley Parable (PC)
14. DmC: Devil May Cry (Xbox 360)
13. Resogun (PS4)
12. Dragon's Crown (Vita)
11. Gone Home (PC)
10. Rayman Legends (Xbox 360)
9. Cubetractor (PC)
8. Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
7. Saints Row IV (PC)
6. Guacamelee! (Vita)
5. Papers, Please (PC)
4. Outlast (PC)
3. BioShock Infinite (PC)
2. Tearaway (Vita)
1. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Xbox 360)

No comments:

Post a Comment