Saturday, January 18, 2014

Killzone: Mercenary (Vita) review

I've only had my Vita for a month or two, and I'm just gonna take everyone else's word for it that the two other instances of a major first-person shooter franchise hitting the system (Resistance: Burning Skies and Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified) were both lousy. It's not hard to imagine. What's significantly harder to imagine is that the series to ultimately sell me the idea of portable FPSs would be Killzone, of all things. Who the hell cares about Killzone? I do, now, apparently, enough to write a review for the excellent Mercenary even though no one asked me to. You can read it here.

One of the most important observations that I make here - that Mercenary is possibly the only multiplayer shooter in which I actually took advantage of multiple loadouts - probably sounds minute to someone who doesn't pay much attention to games like this. It's important for illustrating just how flexible Mercenary's combat is, though. It's not a game about picking up a gun and shooting people; it's a game about picking up this gun and shooting people. Anyway, play it. It's great.

By the way, I can't stop singing Vita's praises. I bought five new systems last year and I think I'm on track to spend more time with my Vita than I have with the other four combined. It's a magnificent little portable. Hardcore types who don't have one are missing out, I'm telling you.

No comments:

Post a Comment